Chipping Away Demonstration
Step: <<Prev 1 2 3
Pro: Chipping Away
||Competition: Blue Text
- What toppings would you like on your pizza?
- Everything. I want a "Supreme" pizza.
- Just pepperoni
- Hawaiian style: ham and pineapple
- All the vegetables, but no meat and no olives
- Everything except anchovies
- I would like pepperoni, sausage, chicken, olives, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers,
anchovies, MEAT-TOPPING, VEGETABLE-TOPPING, ALTERNATIVE-SAUCE,
- What would you like to drink?
- Just water
- A large soft drink, with lemon on the side
- A beer, I do not have to drive home
- A glass of ICED | HOT tea with lemon on the side, sugar, sugar
- Pizza Toppings
Specify the toppings that you would like on your pizza. In
general, pizza toppings consist of a choice of sauce, cheese,
meats, and vegetables. The sauce and cheese choices have
well-known defaults, and need not be specified unless
alternatives are desired. You may specify well-known
combinations by their common name. Alternatively, you may
specify a set of toppings and then explicitly subtract undesired
toppings from the set. The crust type is not specified
- The pizza shall be topped with the set of all vegetables
minus olives. All other parameters shall maintain their default
Specify your desired beverage. Your choice should take into
account the need to comply with state and local regulations regarding
driving motor vehicles while under the influence of alcoholic
beverages. Indicate ice preference and cup size. If you would
like anything on the side, specify that.
- The beverage shall be served in a 16 ounce cup. The
contents shall be soft drink with ice. A single slice of lemon
shall be served on the side.
Step: <<Prev 1 2 3
In chipping away, the third step is to combine the parts of
various sample answers into one answer that you will keep. Make
changes to anything that does not sound right. Or, write new text
using the sample text as a guide.
In the blue text appoach, the third step is to carefully reread
the blue text and make sure that you have addressed all needed
aspects of it in your text. There really is no guide to how you
should phrase your text, so a lot of time can be spent on details of
writing that have little to do with the real decision. In fact, it
is very easy for developers to mistake formal language for real
precision. That can result in documents that are needlessly hard to
read and maintain.