ReadySET Pro Product Comparison
The main competition for ReadySET Pro is do-it-yourself solutions,
however there are other template sets on the market. There are a few
big differences between ReadySET Pro and the others:
- ReadySET Pro templates include multiple reusable sample answers
that your team "chips away" to fit your project. In contrast, most
template sets merely outline the document and provide blue text
without giving much guidance on how to actually phrase your text.
ReadySET Pro addresses both the software engineering challenges and
the simple writing challenges of software development projects. The
difference in speed and morale can be as remarkable as the
difference between an essay test and a multiple choice test.
- ReadySET Pro templates contain questions and sample answers that
provoke critical thought about your project decisions. Built-in
checklists and tips help catch mistakes early and identify ways to
make better decisions, not just better documentation.
- ReadySET Pro is optimized to work on the web. In contrast, most
other template sets are paper-oriented.
- ReadySET Pro is available in two formats: XHTML and MS Office.
In contrast, most other template sets offer only MS Office
- ReadySET Pro is vendor-neutral and process-neutral. It provides
a range of reusable material that can be integrated with almost any
process and hyperlinked with documents produced by any tool: you
don't an entire new suite of tools from one vendor.
"Blue text" is the detailed instructions found in other template
sets. Every time you see blue text, it is suggesting more writing
work for you, but it does not really help you write it. In contrast,
ReadySET Pro has a relatively small number of "TODO" and "TIP"
sticky-notes and a much larger amount of reusable sample text that
shows you what to write, often allowing you to save time by
"Paper-oriented" template sets are aimed at helping you print
documents on paper. For example, some template sets burden each
template with tables of contents, document change history,
glossaries, or even indexes. Paper-based cross-references can
also be difficult. Previous template sets also provide
templates for tasks such as tracking defects or change requests. In
contrast, ReadySET Pro assumes that your team is already using tools
such as web browsers and MS Office that allow easy navigation of
hyperlinks, version control systems to keep document change history,
and issue tracking tools for defects and change requests. ReadySET
Pro templates get right to the point of documenting the decisions
that help coordinate your team.
"Chipping away" is the process of simply removing sample text that
does not apply to your project. It is usually much faster and easier
to chip away than to start from scratch. Try the chipping away demonstration.
Of the alternatives reviewed, the only one that comes close to
ReadySET Pro is open source ReadySET. Below, we specificly show how
ReadySET Pro is better suited for corporate software development.
- Comparison Matrix
||Other Vendors' Template Sets
|Scope of templates
||Pay with your time
|Content of templates
||High quality outlines with integrated,
reusable sample answers and instructions
||Pay with your time
||Often just outlines
||Outlines with "blue text"
|Style of templates
||Fast, friendly, and to-the-point
||Up to you
||Usually more formal
||Built into templates
||You can only list the things that you already
know to look for
||Some have separate checklists
||Modern, clean, web-oriented
||Up to you
||Simply edit the templates and reuse them.
Customization guide included.
||Up to you
||Usually just revise the template
||Some have Special tools: e.g., RUP Builder
||$129/user, or less
||Time (your most limited resource)
- ReadySET Pro vs. Open Source ReadySET
The general advantages of ReadySET Pro are:
- ReadySET Pro is aimed at serious corporate users, whereas the
open source templates are aimed more at students and hobbists.
- ReadySET Pro is available in formats that your entire team can
use: XHTML and MS Office. The open source templates are XHTML
- ReadySET Pro contains improved sample text, better built-in
checklists, and additional core templates for corporate
Specific advantages of ReadySET Pro over Open Source ReadySET:
- New ReadySET Pro reusable sample text describes an
e-commerce engine. This replaces the open source samples
describing video games and university enrollment systems.
- ReadySET Pro templates are available in XHTML and MS Office
formats, with XML format coming soon.
- Completely revised Pro risk management template includes visual
risk map, better sample risks, and specific suggestions for risk
- ReadySET Pro includes a completely revised UI screen design
template. The new template helps organize screens into meaningful
- Completely new Pro template to help document your software
development methodology (SDM). This template provides a
significant head-start on prioritizing guiding
development principles, defining development roles, selecting key
practices, and documenting the steps and rules of daily development
- Completely new Pro postmortem report template helps team
members reflect on their project experience and recommend
constructive process improvements.
- New template text provides specific prompts for individual
paragraphs and bullets. ReadySET Pro provides a whole new level of
support for writing new text.
- Pro product content pages (e.g., the user guide outline)
have significantly more reusable sample text. This gives a much
faster start on authoring these deliverables.
- ReadySET Pro templates are better organized with a new
project document map on the project overview, and a new document
- Improved built-in checklists in ReadySET Pro help catch
more errors before they impact the team.
- Improved Pro SRS includes reusable sample answers for
non-functional and environmental requirements.
- New design patterns section in Pro design template helps
new team members understand important patterns in the
- Choice of one or two column use cases and test cases.
Using the two column format prompts the author to think through
more detailed verification of intermediate system
- Choice of full test case specifications or more compact "test
- Automatic summation of estimates in project work-breakdown
structure and project schedule, in both Office and
- New templates to help organize status report and review
meeting reports. Choice of full reports or much shorter "capsule
- ReadySET Pro customization guide shows how to add corporate
logos and watermarks.
- ReadySET Pro is more consistent and usable throughout all